Monday, September 10, 2018
Holidays in a Relationship...
So as we get close to the end of the year it is full of many holidays and stress. Either from all the cooking the needs to be done, all the family members that are coming over. Or maybe all the loudness makes you uncomfortable.
I am one who LOVES holidays!!! I love decorating. Any reason that I decorate for makes me more excited. Before Halloween we go to a pumpkin patch to pick pumpkins, go through a muddy corn maze, apple cider tasting, hay maze and petting zoo. Then we print out designs for the kids, open the tops and pull out all the pumpkin guts!!! Then after we pull out all the guts we tape the designs on the pumpkins and then poke holes along the design and carve the designs out. Then we get dressed up and go out trick or treating when the sun starts going down. This last year we went to a new area since we had moved and the night was a blast.
Thanksgiving as a kid was always at my Aunt and Uncles with my Cousin's. I always loved going there as a kid. Seeing my Cousin's and hanging out with them. I remember one year I played Crash Bandicoot. I loved how her and my Uncle always worked together making Thanksgiving dinner. They moved around in their kitchen like it was a dance. Everything there was always beautiful. My Aunt and Uncle and their kids are great and have gave me many good memories.
Besides going there we went to my Grandparents for Christmas. I remember my Grandma and Grandpa had a tree downstairs. They would use big ornaments and big ribbon around the tree. Oh my goodness it was so pretty. It was beautiful every year. All honesty all my memories with my Grandma are all happy ones. Shopping with her, cooking with her, washing dishes together, swimming together. I LOVED spending time with her. Once I moved out I didn't get to see her. I got a phone call something happened and I NEVER got picked up to see her. With everyone knowing I can't drive it broke my heart. I couldn't believe it...no one let me say goodbye to the person who showed showed me that family matters. She made everything brighter. Sorry I don't mean to cry on you all.
Holidays for me are hard emotionally so I learned how to cook and have decided just to do my holidays at home with my little family. I invite my Bro in-law over and I cook everything up. If I need any help I of course ask Sir and he is always more than happy to help. I make a ham, ambrosia that my mom used to make and also the one my Aunt makes that I always enjoyed. Everytime I make it it reminds me of them and good times we had. I make mashed potatoes, gravy, mac n cheese (gotta remember I have kids), sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce. After everyone is done I clean up. Then as I clean everyone plays games and stays out of the kitchen area. When I am done we continue games and then watch a movie or two together. This year i am hoping it'll be nice out so we can play a little badminton. I remember playing with my Mom and Granny as a kid. It was a fun memory. So I want to keep it going with my kids. See I have decided I am only going to focus on the positive in life. I had to much bad in it and I don't want to remember any of it. So all my memories I have I have tried to recreate for my children to pass on. I love traditions and spending time together as afamily means a lot to me.
Christmas is a special holiday because not only do we celebrate the birth of our Savior, but my twins were my Christmas gift. Since one is in Heaven though and my Grandma is also up there it is a hard holiday, but nobody understands that. So this last year we celebrated it in the new house and enjoyed the snow. Oh my goodness It was so pretty. It was just us because we were snowed in, but it was fun and beautiful.
When you marry someone make sure they celebrate all the same holidays as you because I know when someone told me I couldn't celebrate a holiday a little piece of me broke, but now I celebrate them all. Holidays are family time. A reason to make happy memories.
If you don't celebrate holidays then make sure your partner doesn't and make sure they are okay with not celebrating them too.
I say celebrate them all and make happy memories together. Oh and don't forget to take pictures so you can always look back at those memories. I guess that's one reason I like taking pictures so much. Always trying to catch smiles and laughs and memories.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment